The folks over at Plus Model Magazine have come up with the 1st Annual "Top 12 Curvy Entertainers" list; (Yes, and we have a Top 12 instead of Top 10 list-because curves deserve just a little more room!)
After identifying our criteria (women in the spotlight who are talented, fashionable, accomplished and are paving the way for women with curves), we opened the conversation and list-making – and what a list it turned out to be! Fifteen years ago, we may have had a difficult time coming up with a list at all. But ladies, we have made huge strides in the entertainment industry! And with so many fabulous women on the list, it was very difficult to choose just 12! After much debate, we finally settled on our Editors' Top 12. Here are this year's winners, along with a few of the reasons why these dynamic divas were chosen...
1) Mo'Nique: From standup comedienne to movie actress to host of the highly popular "Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance" on the Oxygen Network, Mo'Nique has built a winning career, all while maintaining her belief that women with curves deserve to be successful -- -- and to have it all!
2) Raven Simone: She has come a long way from the adorable, pint-size favorite on "The Cosby Show" to singer and star of "That's So Raven" on the Disney Channel, – and may be worth almost half a billion dollars -- but Raven remains one child star who is still comfortable in her skin.
3) Oprah Winfrey: Where to start with this woman who has bared her soul to the public concerning her life and struggles with body image? How about a confident, successful philanthropist and icon, who stands as a shining example of "anything is possible."
4) America Ferrera: We love America! This amazing actress continues to make us root for the quirky Betty Suarez, the star of ABC's "Ugly Betty." Betty is smart, funny, soulful, practical and she gets the guy(s)! What's more, we adored her in the ever-popular chick-flick series "Sisterhood of Traveling Pants."
9) Jennifer Hudson: She may have been booted off "American Idol," but this diva defied the odds in the movie "Dreamgirls" by tackling a larger-than-life role and going on to win an Oscar for Best Actress! There's also her latest role in the "Sex and the City" movie and in the upcoming "Secret Life of Bees." Jennifer may have made a hit of "And I Am Telling You," but she is going – all the way to the top!
10) Marissa Jaret-Winokur: You just have to love this vivacious, bubbly actress who began her career on Broadway in the Tony Award-winning "Hairspray." She most recently cha-cha'd her way into our hearts on this past season's "Dancing with the Stars."
12) Whitney Thompson: And a final shout-out to the first plus-size lady to win "America's Next Top Model"! Who would have thought?!
Honorable mentions go to:
- Nicey Nash, star of the new Fox sitcom "Do Not Disturb" and host of the Style Network's "Clean House."
- Nikki Blonsky, star of the big-screen version of the hit Broadway musical "Hairspray"
- Tocarra Jones, plus-size model and "America's Next Top Model" contestant.
- Kim Coles, actress.
- Mia Michals, choreographer.
- Mia Tyler, plus-size model.
- Lorettea Divine, actress.
- Trisha Yearwood, singer.
- Kiki Sheard, gospel singer.
- Laine Kazan, veteran actress.
- Jolene Purdy, up and coming actress
What do you all think? Was there anyone who you thought was left out ? Is there anyone on the list (or honorable mention) that you don't agree with?
~Luvin' My Curves!